Hartley Sawyer won’t be on ‘The Flash’ when season 7 returns, following the present’s renewal in January. The community confirmed to MeSlop that Hartley was fired after previous racist tweets by the actor just lately surfaced.
Hartley Sawyer has been fired from CW’s The Flash attributable to quite a few racist, homophobic and misogynistic tweets he posted earlier than becoming a member of the present. “Hartley Sawyer won’t be returning for Season 7 of The Flash,” Warner Bros. Tv, The CW, Berlanti Productions and Government Producer Eric Wallace stated in an announcement to MeSlop on June 8. “With reference to Mr. Sawyer’s posts on social media, we don’t tolerate derogatory remarks that concentrate on any race, ethnicity, nationwide origin, gender, or sexual orientation. Such remarks are antithetical to our values and insurance policies, which try and evolve to advertise a protected, inclusive and productive atmosphere for our workforce,” the assertion concluded. The tweets in query are from 2011, 2012 and 2014.
1. Harley apologized earlier than information of his firing. — “I’m not right here to make excuses – whatever the intention, my phrases matter they usually carry profound penalties,” Harley, an American author, actor and producer, started in a word posted to Instagram on Could 30. “And mine can and have prompted ache and embarrassment, together with emotions I can solely think about, to supporters and followers, my forged mates, the crew, my colleagues and buddies. I owe all of them an apology. And I owe every of you an apology. Thanks for holding me accountable.”
(Picture credit score: Hartley Sawyer/Instagram)
In a prolonged caption, he continued, “My phrases, irrelevant of being meant with an intent of humor, had been hurtful, and unacceptable. I’m ashamed I used to be able to these actually horrible makes an attempt to get consideration at the moment. I remorse them deeply,” Hartley wrote, noting, “This was not acceptable conduct. These had been phrases I threw out on the time with no thought or recognition of the hurt my phrases might do, and now have completed in the present day.”
Hartley continued, “I’m extremely sorry, ashamed and disillusioned in myself for my ignorance again then. I wish to be very clear: this isn’t reflective of what I believe or who I’m now. Years in the past, because of buddies and experiences who helped me to open my eyes, I started my journey into changing into a extra accountable grownup – by way of what I say, what I do, and past. I’ve largely saved that journey non-public, and that is one other means that I’ve let so many down. I nonetheless have extra work to do,” he wrote, concluding, “However how I outline myself now doesn’t take away the affect of my phrases, or my duty for them. I’m very sorry.”
Hartley Sawyer as Ralph Dibny on ‘The Flash.’ (Picture credit score: The CW)
2. He joined The Flash in 2017. — In the summertime of 2017, Hartley was forged as Ralph Dibny / Elongated Man, a fast-talking non-public investigator who is ready to stretch his physique to any form or kind. His character entered the present throughout season 4, and he was later promoted to a collection common in June 2018.
3. Harley was beforehand a cleaning soap actor. — He’s identified for his position as Kyle Abbott on the CBS Daytime The Younger and the Stressed cleaning soap opera, by which he was forged in March 2013.
Hartley Sawyer on the crimson carpet. (Picture credit score: REX/Shutterstock)
4. He’s an animal activist. — “Proud pit bull dad,” Hartley’s Instagram bio reads. His profile pictured is a closeup selfie along with his pet pit bull. Hartley additionally volunteers at animal shelters and has been encouraging others to undertake animals whereas at residence amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
5. Hartley is a vegan. — He notes in his Instagram bio that he made the life-style selection due to his love for animals.