It is the morning after Election Day, and MeSlop has not but projected who will win the presidency. Votes are nonetheless being counted in Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Maine, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
At this hour, each candidates nonetheless have pathways to get to 270 electoral votes – the variety of votes wanted to win the presidency.
Based mostly on the races known as to this point, that is the place the race to 270 stands proper now:
Within the Senate, Republicans have dramatically narrowed the trail for Democrats to take again the bulk, stopping upsets in pink states corresponding to South Carolina, Iowa and Montana. However with a lot of the vote nonetheless being counted, Democrats may nonetheless win 4 of those remaining races — and the White Home — to take the Senate majority.
Here is a have a look at the states the place Senate seats are nonetheless up for grabs:
- Alaska: GOP Sen. Dan Sullivan faces Democrat Al Gross.
- Arizona: GOP Sen. Martha McSally is up in opposition to Democrat Mark Kelly.
- Georgia: GOP Sen. David Perdue faces Democratic challenger Jon Ossoff.
- Georgia particular election: This race will go right into a runoff between Republican incumbent Sen. Kelly Loeffler and Democrat Raphael Warnock. The particular election had featured a divisive, intra-party matchup between Loeffler and GOP Rep. Doug Collins.
- Maine: GOP Sen. Susan Collins faces a problem from Democrat Sara Gideon.
- Michigan: Democratic Sen. Gary Peters faces Republican challenger John James.
- North Carolina: GOP Sen. Thom Tillis is operating in opposition to Democrat Cal Cunningham.
Republicans had a greater night time than anticipated holding on to a few of their Home seats. Not less than two incumbent Democrats had been ousted by GOP challengers, and extra may come as many races are but to be known as.
On the Democratic facet, all 4 congresswomen of “the Squad” — Reps. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts — received reelection. Since taking workplace in January 2019, the lawmakers, all girls of coloration, have electrified the progressive base due to their social media savvy however have additionally attracted controversy, most notably over their criticism of the US relationship with Israel.
You’ll be able to view actual time results of the Home races right here.
Here is a have a look at the place the stability of energy in congress at present sits: