Dawn Jackson’s story is featured in Oxygen’s ‘Kim Kardashian West: The Justice Undertaking’ documentary. The small print of her case are past heartbreaking.
When Kim Kardashian West: The Justice Undertaking airs on Oxygen on April 5 at 7pm, viewers will hear the harrowing story of Dawn Jackson, a mother-of-seven who has been in jail for 21 years. The 48-year-old is serving time in New Jersey for stabbing her step-grandfather Robert McBride 28 instances. Dawn, who was 27 on the time, pled responsible on the recommendation of her public defender and was sentenced to 30 years in jail in August 1999. However, within the two-hour documentary particular, Kim and her authorized mentors Jessica Jackson and Erin Haney argue that the justice system let her down and that there have been mitigating circumstances in her case that ought to have been heard. The most important one being Dawn’s allegation that McBride molested her all through her childhood.
In an emotional letter that she wrote to Kim, the mother revealed that she was sexually abused and raped by a number of individuals from the age of 5 onwards. “Her letter made me offended on the those who have betrayed her like this,” the Protecting Up With the Kardashians star says within the doc. “It made me consider my very own youngsters and what I might do if that occurred to them and I knew that I needed to assist her.”
Kim, Jessica and Erin are working in direction of presenting proof to the state of New Jersey to have her sentence commuted. Right here’s what you want to learn about Dawn:
1. Dawn alleges that – regardless of being sexually abused by a number of males – she by no means received the assistance that she wanted. “Throughout my early childhood I used to be sexually abused, intimidated and coerced by sure male members of the family,” she wrote in a letter to Kim. “She was raped on the age of 5 so badly that she needed to go to the hospital and had to make use of a bag to go to the lavatory,” Jessica Jackson tells MeSlop. “That in and of itself goes to do one thing to anyone.”
2. When she pled responsible to homicide she advised the choose that she stole from her sufferer and used the cash to purchase medicine. “She advised Choose Barnett Hoffman of Superior Court docket that she purchased cocaine with the cash she stole from [him]…” The New York Occasions reported in August 1999.
3. Her kids characteristic in Kim Kardashian West: The Justice Undertaking. Dawn’s daughter Loreale Wilson alleges that McBride would give her mom cash to purchase medicine. “This is identical man that touched my mother and harm her and traumatized her,” she says.
4. Dawn alleges that McBride was attempting to “forcefully have intercourse” along with her on the day of the assault. “She was coping with lots of PTSD and the day she went to his home and he pulled on her, one thing within her stated, ‘No,’ she was not going to be victimized once more,” Jessica says
5. Kim argues that Dawn was “improperly sentenced.” “Not one of the circumstances that led her to this place have been ever introduced in courtroom,” she says within the documentary. “She positively ought to have gone to jail and frolicked however she ought to have had a good trial along with her circumstances introduced.”