Alexis Martin was simply an adolescent when she was despatched to jail for homicide. After Kim Kardashian fought tirelessly for Alexis’s launch, the ‘KUWTK’ star revealed that Ohio’s governor ‘commuted’ Alexis’s sentence.
UPDATE (4/17/20, 7:30 p.m. ET): Kim Kardashian can rejoice — Alexis Martin is being launched from jail! Ohio Governor Mike DeWine made the announcement on Friday, April 17, revealing that the 22-year-old and 6 different inmates will likely be granted commutations (diminished punishments) as Ohio prisons struggle towards the coronavirus pandemic. “Alexis Martin was 15 years previous when she dedicated her crime and 17 when she went to jail. She is a baby intercourse trafficking survivor. She will likely be despatched to a gaggle house and will likely be beneath supervision for a time frame,” the governor stated in a information convention, per NBC4i.
Kim swiftly reacted to the information on Twitter. “Alexis Martin is a intercourse visitors survivor and I used to be honored to have the ability to share her story on the Justice Venture. Thanks Governor DeWine for commuting her sentence,” the Conserving Up with the Kardashians star wrote that Friday afternoon.
ORIGINAL: Her case moved Kim Kardashian a lot that the mom-of-four went behind bars to interview her. Alexis Martin – a former teenage intercourse trafficking sufferer – is among the prisoners who’s featured within the actuality TV star’s new documentary, Kim Kardashian West: The Justice Venture. The 2-hour particular, which premieres on Oxygen on April 5 at 7pm, follows Kim as she dives into the circumstances of 4 individuals – Alexis, Daybreak Jackson, Momolu Stewart and David Sheppard. Alexis’ case is especially heartbreaking.
The 22-year-old is serving a life sentence on the Ohio Reformatory for Girls for a criminal offense prosecutors say she dedicated on the age of 15. Alexis was convicted after her pimp was murdered throughout a theft. “There are lots of people which can be making unhealthy selections after they’ve skilled a lifetime of trauma,” Kim says within the documentary. “And I’ve acquired so many letters of conditions and circumstances the place individuals have been intercourse abused and intercourse trafficked and, after I heard of Alexis Martin’s case, it simply sounded manner too acquainted.” Right here’s what that you must learn about Alexis:
1. Alexis says the homicide sufferer, Angelo Kerney, intercourse trafficked her from the age of 14. “He raped me and he instructed me that I wasn’t worthy of something apart from my physique,” she tells Kim in The Justice Venture. “He instructed me that no one would ever love me… I held no worth however my physique.”
2. Earlier than she was a intercourse trafficking sufferer, Alexis says she was raped and sexually molested as a baby. Her childhood was marred by instability. “Martin confronted vital obstacles earlier than she dedicated the offenses on this case,” the 2018 attraction filed in the Supreme Court docket of Ohio on her behalf learn. “Her mother and father have been typically absent from her life. Each her mother and father and her stepfather have been concerned with medication, and her mom was imprisoned for drug trafficking.”
3. Angelo was killed on Nov. 7, 2013 in the course of the course of a theft that Alexis helped to plan. The assault befell at his house. She was in one other room having intercourse along with his brother, Alecio Samuel, when two males, Travaski Jackson and Deshaun Spear entered the home, ransacked it and shot Angelo to loss of life, in accordance with the Akron Beacon Journal.
4. Though she was a minor on the time of the crime, Alexis’ case was transferred to the grownup court docket. She pled responsible to 1 rely of aggravated homicide and one rely of felonious assault.
5. Alexis’ authorized group are working to attempt to get her clemency. They argue that – as a result of she was a teen intercourse trafficking sufferer – she ought to have benefited from Ohio’s Secure Harbor Legislation, which permits juveniles to enroll in well being and trauma schooling slightly than face jail. “Alexis mustn’t have been caged in any respect,” her lawyer Sasha Naiman instructed the Cincinnati Enquirer in January 2019. “She ought to have acquired providers. She was a child. She was 15-years-old, and each single day that Alexis is incarcerated is a mistake.”