Alexis Martin was simply a youngster when she was despatched to jail for homicide. Now Kim Kardashian is working to get her launched by highlighting her story.
Her case moved Kim Kardashian a lot that the mom-of-four went behind bars to interview her. Alexis Martin – a former teenage intercourse trafficking sufferer – is likely one of the prisoners who’s featured within the actuality TV star’s new documentary, Kim Kardashian West: The Justice Mission. The 2-hour particular, which premieres on Oxygen on April 5 at 7pm, follows Kim as she dives into the circumstances of 4 folks – Alexis, Daybreak Jackson, Momolu Stewart and David Sheppard. Alexis’ case is especially heartbreaking.
The 22-year-old is serving a life sentence on the Ohio Reformatory for Girls for against the law prosecutors say she dedicated on the age of 15. Alexis was convicted after her pimp was murdered throughout a theft. “There are lots of people which can be making unhealthy choices after they’ve skilled a lifetime of trauma,” Kim says within the documentary. “And I’ve acquired so many letters of conditions and circumstances the place folks have been intercourse abused and intercourse trafficked and, once I heard of Alexis Martin’s case, it simply sounded method too acquainted.” Right here’s what you could learn about Alexis:
1. Alexis says the homicide sufferer, Angelo Kerney, intercourse trafficked her from the age of 14. “He raped me and he instructed me that I wasn’t worthy of something moreover my physique,” she tells Kim in The Justice Mission. “He instructed me that no one would ever love me… I held no worth however my physique.”
2. Earlier than she was a intercourse trafficking sufferer, Alexis says she was raped and sexually molested as a toddler. Her childhood was marred by instability. “Martin confronted important obstacles earlier than she dedicated the offenses on this case,” the 2018 attraction filed in the Supreme Court docket of Ohio on her behalf learn. “Her mother and father had been usually absent from her life. Each her mother and father and her stepfather had been concerned with medicine, and her mom was imprisoned for drug trafficking.”
3. Angelo was killed on Nov. 7, 2013 through the course of a theft that Alexis helped to plan. The assault befell at his residence. She was in one other room having intercourse along with his brother, Alecio Samuel, when two males, Travaski Jackson and Deshaun Spear entered the home, ransacked it and shot Angelo to dying, in line with the Akron Beacon Journal.
4. Though she was a minor on the time of the crime, Alexis’ case was transferred to the grownup courtroom. She pled responsible to 1 depend of aggravated homicide and one depend of felonious assault.
5. Alexis’ authorized staff are working to attempt to get her clemency. They argue that – as a result of she was a teen intercourse trafficking sufferer – she ought to have benefited from Ohio’s Secure Harbor Legislation, which permits juveniles to enroll in well being and trauma schooling slightly than face jail. “Alexis mustn’t have been caged in any respect,” her legal professional Sasha Naiman instructed the Cincinnati Enquirer in January 2019. “She ought to have acquired providers. She was a child. She was 15-years-old, and each single day that Alexis is incarcerated is a mistake.”